Facilities & Directions
The W.S. Hanner Fieldhouse serves as the home of Eagle basketball and volleyball. Completed in 1969, the facility is named for the late W.S. “Shep” Hanner, the school’s faculty athletic chairman from 1935 to 1959. Hanner also served at various times as tennis coach, assistant football coach, professor and chairman of the Division of Exercise Sciences.
The Fieldhouse is actually part of the larger Hanner Complex, which houses the Health, Physical Education and Professional Studies as well as most of the Eagle men's coaches offices. In addition to the main basketball arena, the complex contains a smaller gymnasium, a weight room, a gymnastic/aerobic room, an eight-lane collegiate swimming facility and athletic training facilities.
During the summer of 1995, the University completed a $500,000 renovation to Hanner Fieldhouse. Wooden bleachers at floor level were replaced with chairback seats, new floor graphics were painted and portable baskets with shot clocks were purchased. Outside the arena, the basketball locker rooms and coaches’ offices were also renovated.
Directions To Hanner Fieldhouse
From I-16 on Highway 16 From Savannah
1. Take Exit 127 off of I-16 and turn right (north) on GA 67
2. It is about 15 miles from I-16 to the Statesboro city limits
3. Turn left on Herty Drive
4. Hanner Fieldhouse will be on your right
From I-16 on Highway 301 From Macon / Atlanta
1. Take Exit 116 off I-16 and turn left (north) on Highway 301
2. Turn right on Tillman Rd
3. Turn right onto Fair Rd
4. Turn right on Herty Dr (Hanner Fieldhouse will be on your right)
From Highway 25 & Highway 80 West (Augusta & Other Routes)
1. Turn right on Highway 25
2. Turn right onto N Main st
3. Turn left onto W Brannen St
4. Turn right onto Fair Rd
5. Turn right on Herty Dr (Hanner Fieldhouse will be on your right)
Camps are open to any and all entrants (limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender)